Yukiteru Amano is a 14 year old recluse who spends most of his time writing in his Diary on his cell phone, with his only friends being those he imagines. To Yuki’s surprise these imaginary friends turn out to be the god of space and time Deus Ex Machina and his assistant Muru Muru. Deus grants Yuki a wonderful ability, his phone can now predict the future. Unknowingly, Yuki just accepted to be a part of a twisted survival game, between him and 11 other players who have also been granted “Future Diaries”. The rule of the game is simple, eliminate the other diary holders and win the chance at becoming the next god. Yuki’s only chance at survival is teaming up with another contestant by the name of Yuno Gasai, a yandere.
- Japanese: 未来日記 Hepburn: Mirai Nikki
- Japanese Manga written and illustrated by Sakae Esuno
- Genre: Mystery, Psychological Thriller, Romance
- Manga has 12 Volumes
- Anime has 26 episodes +OVA
- Live Action Tv Drama has 11 episodes that has an original plot, different from the main series.
- Side story Manga (Future Diary: Mosaic/Paradox/Redial) with 3 volumes that focus on Minene Uryu, Aru Akise and Muru Muru (alternate timeline), and an epilogue to the series.
- Each diary varies in properties and functions depending on the holder’s personality, occupation and lifestyle. All the diaries have their pro’s and cons, some more so than others, and can be used without the diary owner’s consent should they fall into another’s hands. Because the diaries are written from the perspective of the holder’s future self, the future can still be misinterpreted and the diary entries can then turn out to be inaccurate. Each of the diaries have become the diary holder’s future, so if the diary itself is destroyed or broken, so too is the holder’s future.
Future Diary is definitely a favorite, I really enjoy the series and the story that comes with it. I’m always up for a survival series, especially one in which the main character depends on a cute psychotic character. It’s a really fun series to watch. Every time I call my cats name “Yuki” I always remember Future Diary, haha, his name didn’t come from it though. The series really threw me for a loop at the end, I couldn’t have expected those turn of events but none the less I was pleased. If you like crazy Yandere characters, and survival games this is a series you should check out.
I have high hopes that some day I will run into the manga, so I can finally own and read it.😪😪😪 I saw the sub and the dub, I like both of them but I like Japanese Yuno more. She sounds way more psychotic and I love the way she says “Yuki”.
Ps. Minene Uryuu is my second favorite character in the series besides Yuno.